Saturday, June 05, 2010

Eat the Menu: Tacodeli, Days 19, 20, and 21

This is part of an ongoing series about my quest to try all of the yumminess at local restaurant Tacodeli. See my eat the menu tag for the other parts of the series. Scores are summarized here.

Yesterday, I passed a turning point. I could have "finished" this Eat the Menu challenge by ordering the last taco on my list, but instead I ordered a "Tortilla Creation" and a side. In other words, I officially decided to fully Eat the Menu. I'll describe what that entails below, but first I should probably update you on

Thursday, June 3
Thursday I finally tried the two Mexico Cities: Mexico City Chicken and Mexico City Sirloin. They're described on the menu as "Grilled [sirloin or chicken] with diced onion and cilantro." Onions and cilantro are tasty and all, but, really, that's all? Yeah, that's all. The chicken was a little better than the sirloin in my opinion, but they were both basically just places to put salsa. I give them 0.65 moles and 0.6 moles, respectively. More interestingly, a friend had an order of Chips and Salsa Roja, which forced me to try it and discover that, despite my previous tests, I think I like Tacodeli's salsa roja better than the doña. It might be a bit much on a lot of the tacos, but it had a bold flavor that was excellent on chips. I give those chips 0.6 moles (vs. now-confirmed 0.5 moles for Chips and Salsa Doña).

Friday, June 4
That's brings us to Friday, the day I planned to finish. I walked in ready to order the Frontera Fundido Chicken (my last taco) and a Mole Taco Chicken to round everything out, but the Vegetarian Burrito ("Rice, beans and our special veggie mix") sounded too good to pass up. It was, indeed, pretty darned good. I would have given it 0.85 moles, but it had some structural integrity issues, so I'm knocking it down to 0.8 moles. Still a respectable score. I paired it with a small side of Sauteed Spinach, which was good for a side, but still just a side. I give it 0.4 moles

Saturday, June 5
I have some things to knock out in the office today, so I stopped in for a (supposed-to-be-rare-for-me-but-totally-not) Saturday Tacodeli lunch before heading into the office. I continued my trek through the Tortilla Creations, this time trying El Dizzy Chick Wrap, "Grilled chicken with lettuce, tomato, onion and cheese rolled in a 10" tortilla." It certainly wasn't bad, but I liked the vegetarian wrap better. I give El Dizzy 0.75 moles. I finished it off with some Mexican Mashed Potatoes, though, and those were even better than the Sauteed Spinach. I give them 0.65 moles.

Summary:
  • Mexico City Chicken: 0.65 moles
  • Mexico City Sirloin: 0.6 moles
  • Chips and Salsa Roja: 0.6 moles
  • Vegetarian Burrito: 0.8 moles
  • Sauteed Spinach: 0.4 moles
  • El Dizzy Chicken Wrap: 0.75 moles
  • Mexican Mashed Potatoes: 0.65 moles

I have these left (note: I'm not going to try the Borracho torta). What should I try next?
  1. Chicken: Frontera Fundido Chicken ("Grilled chicken with sauteéd poblano pepper and onion strips glazed with melted Monterrey jack cheese.")
  2. Breakfast: Migas Taco ("Eggs scrambled with our migas mix and topped with Monterrey jack cheese.")
  3. Breakfast: Migas Royale Plate ("A heaping plate of our migas topped with queso, Monterrey jack cheese, avocado and pico de gallo. Served with Mexican mashed potatoes, refried black beans and tortillas.")
  4. Breakfast: The Sirloin, Egg and Cheese ("Grilled sirloin, scrambled egg and Monterrey jack cheese.")
  5. Tortilla Creations: Grilled Steak Wrap ("Grilled steak with lettuce, tomato, onion and cheese rolled in a 10" tortilla.")
  6. Tortilla Creations: Tacodeli Quesadilla ("Our special veggie mix of carrots, onion, celery, red bell, poblano, zucchini, mushroom and cabbage sautéed to order with olive oil and sherry stuffed in a cheese quesadilla.") (Also available with Chicken or Sirloin)
  7. Tortas: Pepito (sirloin)
  8. Tortas: Pastor (pork)
  9. Tortas: Ranchera (chicken)
  10. Tortas: Adobo (adobo chicken
  11. Tortas: La Flaca (veggies)
  12. Ensaladas y Sopa: Ensalada Verde ("A bed of romaine lettuce topped with guacamole, sour cream, pico de gallo, shredded cheese, onion, tomato and topped with avocado.") (Also available with Spinach)
  13. Ensaladas y Sopa: Ensalada Tacodeli ("A bed of romaine lettuce topped with guacamole, sour cream, pico de gallo, shredded cheese, onion, tomato and your choice of chicken or sirloin.") (Available with Chicken or Sirloin)
  14. Ensaladas y Sopa: Avocado Salad ("For avocado aficionados! Fresh avocados with a dressing made of tomatillos, serranos, cilantro and lime.")
  15. Ensaladas y Sopa: Small Side Salad
  16. Ensaladas y Sopa: Sopa Las Mañanitas ("Cuernavaca inspired tortilla soup made with a homemade chicken broth, chicken, fresh onion, tomatoes, jalapeños, cilantro, tortilla strips, avocado and lime.")
  17. Sides: Chips and Guacamole
  18. Sides: Chips and Queso
  19. Sides: Roberto's Brazo-Fuerte Dip with Chips ("A power combo of queso, guacamole, pico & spicy ground beef.")
  20. Sides: Mexican Red Rice
  21. Sides: Pinto Beans
  22. Sides: Refried Black Beans
  23. Sides: Sauteed Veggie Mix
  24. Sides: Toreados ("Three grilled whole serrano peppers.")

Wow, that's a lot left! What have I done?

No comments: